Monday, September 29, 2008

Josh Howard is Sorry

ESPN is reporting that Dallas Mavericks forward Josh Howard is apologizing for "everything that's happened in the past five months."

Thanks, Josh. That whole $700 billion dollar bail-out thing had me worried. I'm glad you took responsibility. All those Chinese babies with the tainted milk probably appreciate your apology too. And when I quit my job at the beginning of June and shook my life around like dice in a Yahtzee cup - man, I've been waiting for you to step up on that one.

But seriously, I don't think Howard has anything to apologize for. No harm came to anyone as a result of his activities over the past five months, as far as I'm aware. So in my book there's no need to say you're sorry.

In my opinion, I think we owe you an apology, Josh. I'd like to speak for many when I say we're sorry. We're sorry that you've grown into adulthood with some bad misconceptions. It's unfortunate that you have not been taught that reckless actions, like street racing, could put many people (in addition to yourself) in harm's way. Even if you think it's weak to be concerned with other people's safety, why don't you care more about your own health? Why don't you care that you have been gifted with physical ability surpassing billions of people? Not only do you participate in dangerous driving, but you do damage to your lungs and possibly your brain when you smoke weed. I'm sorry that no one ever took the time to explain that to you, or if they did, I'm sorry that they didn't make you realize that they were telling you that because they cared about you. I'm on no soapbox. I've done both of those things that you did, Josh. I was lucky enough to either realize on my own or have people help me understand that I was putting myself in danger by participating in those activities. I was lucky enough that my mistakes weren't on the news. So I think we should be sorry for making a big deal out of things that are hopefully youthful indiscretions.

The thing that people have really wanted to talk about is your comment on the Star-Spangled Banner. I'm a white guy but, in a way, I share your sentiment. I stand up at a game when the lights go down and they want to perform the Star-Spangled Banner. I can show that much respect. But I don't put my hand on my heart and I don't sing. In my opinion, and an unpopular one it's sure to be, that level of involvement crosses over from respect to jingoism. I choose silence as a commentary on my disappointment with the American government, and my belief that our nation's leaders have failed to lead for many, many years. Now, my opinion my be just as hated as the one that you expressed. The difference though is that I've explained myself a little, and could explain my position further if questioned. I'm sorry for you that your political leaders, teachers, friends, and your parents have not helped you develop an eloquence that would have allowed you to make a statement on the dissonance between race relations and American patriotism. Instead, your statement that you don't participate because you're black comes across as being simple, ill-informed, and nonsensical. Really, I suppose, that's exactly what it is, and that's why I think the apology is owed to you, not the other way around. You're young and full of opinions that you don't yet have the experience and wisdom to be quoted on in a national forum. It's everyone else's fault that you were quoted anyway. Not yours. I'm also sorry that angry and ignorant commentary was directed at you after those comments were made public that probably made you feel somewhat justified in making them. As a nation, and as human beings, we should all be above that.

Apologize only to yourself for making choices that diminish your self-worth. Seek out the wisdom of books and people who have lived through harder things than you have. No one can tell you that your opinions are wrong, but you should come to the argument with the proper tools to defend those opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave an email address, I'll write you back!