Sunday, September 21, 2008

Who I Want to Win

Some people only watch one particular team. If that team isn't playing, the rest of the basketball world makes no difference to them. I consider that to be an emotional attachment without context. I'm interested in the records of at least half the league, either hoping they win or hoping they don't. Mostly, though, the team that I'm pulling for is directly related to who they are playing. I'd like to put my preferences in a list form, as best as I can. If you're at the top of the list, I want you to win. If you're at the bottom, I hope you lose. So if team 8 plays team 12, I'm hoping team 8 wins. If team 12 plays team 17, I'm hoping team 12 wins.

Here's what I'm feeling right now, before the first game happens. This is subject to change during the course of the season.

  1. Spurs
  2. Trailblazers
  3. Heat
  4. Wizards
  5. Cavaliers
  6. Celtics
  7. Knicks
  8. Suns
  9. 76ers
  10. Rockets
  11. Thunder
  12. Grizzlies
  13. Bucks
  14. Timberwolves
  15. Raptors
  16. Magic
  17. Hawks
  18. Bobcats
  19. Hornets
  20. Bulls
  21. Nets
  22. Warriors
  23. Clippers
  24. Pacers
  25. Lakers
  26. Nuggets
  27. Kings
  28. Pistons
  29. Mavericks
  30. Jazz
These are not predictions! Not power rankings! I know the Jazz could stomp most of the teams listed above them, so could the Mavs and Pistons and Lakers. This is just how the season would shake out if I had my choice. I'm a little iffy on that 1-2 combo. I really like the way the Blazers are going to come out this year.

If it all turned out the way I wanted, either the Spurs or the Blazers would face the Suns in the Western Conference Finals, with the Suns losing in 7. The east would have Miami and D.C. face off for 6 games (it's almost funny to type that). The winner of the west would win the finals in 4 games.

However, if I were going to make predictions now, before the first game even tips off, this is my guess:

The Eastern Conference will find the Pistons facing the Cavaliers. Although the Cavs will make a dominant push through the play-offs, the Pistons will recognize that their championship window is closing and dig down deep to overcome Cleveland in six games.

In the West, youth causes serious upsets. Despite the notion that they're too inexperienced to go deep into the postseason, the Trailblazers (passing the Spurs in a surprising 4 games) enter the Conference Finals against the also young Hornets (dispatching the Lakers in six games). Hornets win in five and proceed to the Finals, where Detroit closes a five-year gap in championship celebrations.

In June, we can probably all look back at this and have a good laugh.

2 comments:

  1. Without a doubt. If you really want to get crazy how about the sixers and the magic in the eastern conference finals with the sixers winning in 5.

    The west having the Rockets and the Trailblazers with Oden being the most dominate force since a 21 year old Shaq.

    The Finals will have the Sixers with the most underrated point guard, an athletic freak in Iggy and Portland loaded with the "New Young Guns". That will be something to watch. Although the NBA would never let this happen, it is nice to dream, and this coming from a Laker Man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure yet what to think about the new-look Sixers. There's a lot of optimism, and I think they'll be a good team, but I don't see them being a great team. Coincidentally, I think the Sixers this year will be a lot like last year's Magic. They'll be improved, they'll win more games, they'll have a lengthy first-round match-up, and get bounced in the second round.

    The Magic doesn't seem to be any better to me than they were a year ago. I think Dwight is going to have an amazing career, but I see him losing steam over the course of 08-09.

    I'm all the way on board with your thoughts on the Blazers though.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave an email address, I'll write you back!