Friday, October 10, 2008

NBA Dramatique, Prelude 10

Yao watched explosions flash across the sky and was pleased. The noise, the fire, the lights – they were the product of war. War made him feel good. In his heart was a love of battle, and a need to win. He had been groomed from early childhood to lead a nation to victory and he knew that if victory was not achieved during his life, his ghost would never rest.

The giant airship within which he stood watching was tens of thousands of feet in the air, testing weaponry of the latest design. Yao was certain that some of his enemies must be watching from afar, and he hoped that they saw the explosions and imagined dying within them.

Silently, Battier stepped from somewhere behind and moved to stand beside Yao. He, too, looked out at the explosions and a smile spread across his face. “The new weapons are testing well. Our success is virtually assured.”

“I’m not as certain” said Yao. “The new weapons could be highly effective. Yet victory could elude us if they are used without skill.” As if on cue, Commander McGrady entered the observation deck through a hatch at the aft end of the room. He was followed by another man wearing the insignia of a Major whose eyes scanned the room from left to right repeatedly. Yao recognized this man. He gave a quick bow to greet them. “Commander. Major Artest, if I’m not mistaken.”

“Yao, Major Artest has joined our ranks. I am showing him around our airship and introducing him to his new comrades. The Major is a true warrior and will be a strong asset to our forces.”

“Commander, I wish I shared your optimism. I have no qualm with giving a man a chance to prove himself, but I must say that your reputation precedes you, Major. You are known as a malcontent and –“

“Enough, Yao!” Commander McGrady interrupted loudly. “The Major has proven himself capable of far more than making trouble for his associates! I insist that you show him the utmost respect!”

“It’s quite alright, Commander” said Major Artest. “Yao has the heart of a champion and does not want to subject his organization to negative influences.” Yao tilted his head in polite acknowledgement. “However, I’d like to assure you that I’m here to help, and help in a big way. As a tribute, I’ve written a short verse that I’d like to recite.”

“Major Artest will aid your offenses

and shore up the strength of defenses.

I will assault all of the enemies’ senses

And steal off in the night with their wenches!”

The Commander smiled appreciatively at the Major and gave Yao an inquisitive look. Yao smiled and nodded. “Thank you, Major. That was…enlightening. I’ll be happy to assist you in any way as you acclimate yourself to our organization.”

“The Major and I will continue our tour of this vessel. I have much to show him still.” The Commander walked quickly to the forward hatch with the Major following, and they exited the room. Battier and Yao both watched them leave and continued to gaze at the hatch after they had gone through it.

“He seems a bit of a fool” Battier said.

“Yes. And not to be trusted. Not yet. Find Rafer and Bones. They should keep a close eye on him. They’ll report to you. You report to me.”

“What do you want to know?”

“I want to know that he’ll really be with us, but even more, I want to know how much trust the Commander puts in him. The Commander's judgment is lacking. We need strong leadership even if we don’t have a strong leader.”

“What of the Emperor?”

“He will make his own judgment. And I trust that in his wisdom he will see things as I do.”

The explosions continued to dance in the sky, and Yao watched, still pleased.

1 comment:

  1. Dude I love how you threw the tru warrior into it. This is a very good blog and you are definitely a quick study.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave an email address, I'll write you back!