Monday, October 27, 2008

NBA Dramatique, Prelude 27

From the upper balcony of the Chamber, Arenas looked down at the display of spellcraft taking place. He loved the art of sorcery, loved it with his whole heart. From beneath the deep blue hood that covered his head, his eyes widened and his smile spread with every new trick displayed on the floor below. Brendan had just conjured a tidal wave out of thin air and just as quickly made it vanish - with not even a drop left behind - right before it had crashed down upon Grand Mage Edd himself. Arenas laughed to himself with pleasure at the thankfully surprised expression he could see on the Grand Mage's face. He walked towards the staircase that would take him to the practice floor below.

When he reached the floor, another Sorcerer was demonstrating a new technique. Caron started running from the far end of the floor. As he ran, he shouted an incantation, and a dozen large rams materialized beside him, charging at full speed. Caron stopped running but continued reciting his spell, and the rams charged on until their horned heads in unison slammed into a stone wall. The wall crumbled and fell into a cloud of dust, and the rams were magically returned to the elsewhere from which they were conjured.

Reluctantly, Arenas approached Grand Mage Edd.

"Greetings, Grand Mage." Arenas bowed slightly then pulled back the hood of his robe as he returned upright. "I've been watching from above" he said with a smile. "We've got some real creative stuff being shown today, don't we?"

"Greetings, Sorcerer. Yes, I like what I'm seeing. These guys have been putting in some serious work. But I'm very curious as to why I have not seen you earlier today." The Grand Mage gave Arenas a concerned but irritated look. Arenas had been going on and on for weeks about his new spell. He was a proud Sorcerer, and he had the right to be because of his talent, but he also tended towards boastfulness and hyperbole. There were many throughout the land that believed his strongest magic was with words, not combat, and he was more than eager to prove them wrong.

"That's what I've come to discuss. Though I've been preparing, and I'm greatly encouraged by what I'm seeing from the other Sorcerers, I'm not ready. I know that you are readying the Chamber for war, and I too sense that we're on the brink, but I must have more time to prepare."

The Grand Mage looked at Arenas for a moment without giving a reply. He put his hand on the young Sorcerer's shoulder and guided him off to the edge of the Chamber floor. "Watch them for a moment" he said, gesturing toward the other spell-casters on the floor. They had ceased individual demonstrations, and were using their abilities together. As they chanted and made motions and recited carefully transcribed spells from large books, mystical energy flared in colorful arcs and auroras around each caster. "They are powerful. Aren't they? Each day that they work together, I see the power increase. I've watched certain combinations grow increasingly potent. Of particular interest, Daniels, Antawn, and Caron seem to be forging an interlocking spellcraft of staggering strength." The Grand Mage paused as they watched those three Sorcerers simultaneously conjure complimentary elemental attacks. "Arenas, if you need more time, you can have it. I know you are talented. I know you belong here. Your friends will fight without you. I must warn you, though - they are becoming rather accustomed to doing so. I would go so far as to say your leadership is not guaranteed among them. It is in your best interest to conjure the most terrific wizardry upon your reunion with them, or you are going to become expendable or even detrimental. Do you understand?"

Arenas nodded. "Yes, Grand Mage. I will return as soon as I am able." He pulled the hood back over his head casting dark shadows across his face. This helped to hide the anxious smile that spread as soon as he turned away from the Grand Mage. Arenas knew that once he had mastered the spells he was working on, he would return triumphantly to the field of battle. He chuckled to himself as he thought of the Grand Mage's words.

"'The most terrific wizardry'" he laughed. "I couldn't have said it better myself."

1 comment:

  1. awesome job ! couldn't have worded it any better ! Thanks for all the NBA previews :)

    ReplyDelete

If you leave an email address, I'll write you back!